Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Adventures with English 1


For starters, let me share with you my adventures with the English language. My parents told me that I really like studying. Proof of that is when I was three years old, I begged them to let me go to school. Because of my persistence, they let me attend nursery even if I was a year younger than my peers.

Mom said that I couldn't even pronounce all the letters of the alphabet correctly. My 's' became a 't.' At that time, I think we were just being taught the basics of English - the alphabet and numbers. The Philippine alphabet doesn't differ much from the English alphabet. But if we trace it back to history, we had our own system of writing which was called 'Alibata.' It basically look like simple drawings and had a lot of curves.

However, the Spanish, American and Japanese occupation have driven it out of existence.

I wasn't a fast-learner when I was young. My Mom got disappointed many times teaching me how to read (even Tagalog). Hehe.. Up until I was in Grade 1, I wasn't very interested in English. It was just a subject taught in class. In fact, we often got irritated when Dad would switch channels and watch American movies. I couldn't understand them and they were foreign to me.

But I guess overtime, I got used to it. Thanks to Dad, I got more familiar with English/American films. I think I even know more than he does nowadays.

No comments: