Monday, June 9, 2008

Read Up!



So far, I've already given you tips about choosing the right English teacher, improving pronunciation and so on. Now, I'd like to get you to do serious work.

I hope you're still hanging around by now. For most people, this would be one of the most difficult things to do: read. Yes, you heard it right. It's time to work - and work hard at that. But then, the first thing you might need to do is, change your attitude.

When I was younger, I would see people deeply immersed in reading a thick book. I thought to myself: How boring! Why would I read such a thick book when the only things I could see are words. I'd be better off watching a movie and seeing real people, real situations. But, being curious, I thought, I'd want to try reading thick novels like those people. At least, I would be able to see for myself just how boring it could be.

So I did, and I struggled to finish the first 5 pages of the novel. But when I wanted to quit, I told myself if those people can read the whole novel, then at least I should read half. So, I stuck with it. By the 6th page, I was glued. Of course, part of the reason is that the author writes very well, making things more exciting. But aside from that, I discovered the joy of reading and the importance of focusing.

Funny how the thought of trying out something boring actually taught me two important things: 1. reading is important & fun; and 2. focus is necessary in achieving most of your goals in life.

Reading is quite challenging, comparing to just listening to MP3 or watching a movie. When you read, you are forced to be more imaginative and to use your senses more. You have to imagine what the characters in a picture-less book look like. You have to imagine how they speak, how they act and walk. You get to imagine what kind of place they live in, hear them speaking, feel their emotions and touch them. Reading is very intimate. When you watch a movie, you see the characters living their lives and you just watching. But when you read, you can stay with the characters and live where they are. Even if you keep quiet, you are there.

Tell me, does this seem boring? At the end of the day, I became more addicted to reading than those bookworms I criticized at first. I would try to memorize the new words so that I wouldn't have to look them up from the dictionary again and again. Man, I'm too lazy to do that. In effect, I was able to practice my memory without noticing it. I enjoyed living in a different place, different time, different culture, and being deeply immersed. I was having fun.

The bonus: I got even better than my English teacher. I would notice some of her grammatical mistakes and would think to myself how they can be fixed. My classmates started asking me about weird words and calling me 'walking dictionary.' I would go on to join English quiz bees and writing contests. Boy, they must think I'm a nerd and a very boring person. Well, I thought that about other people too. But you know what, they ask the 'nerd' for help.

Is reading hard work? Not if you're enjoying it. So why not make up your mind to enjoy it? So what if they call you the 'nerd.' It's the nerd whom people ask for help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sarah! How are you? I like your blog. The contents are really interesting. Yes, I'm 100% agree with you. You are fantabulous.I like your attitude about any thing. I will follow your opinion and try to read thick English books. If you have a book you recommend, could you tell me? See you.

Sarah先生 said...

Hey Natsu!

Thanks for dropping by. I kind of missed you. ^_^ I'm great! I'm excited about what this sem has to offer.

It made a big difference in my over-all well being when I started teaching for fewer hours. I think I also did a better job teaching because I had more time to monitor the students' progress.

Aside from that, I'm seriously thinking about my thesis topics. I really want to graduate next April.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for your support. I'm glad that my opinion helps you, even in just a small way. Haha..

But don't give yourself too much pressure. You can take it slowly and read little by little when you have the time.

I recommend "The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint Exupery or "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom. Once you have discovered the joy of reading novels with good stories, you can move on to more difficult ones. You can ask me about my recommendations later.

Happy reading! ^_^